Powerful biosecurity analytics at your fingertips
Biosecurity Commons is a ground-breaking project that will deliver a cloud-based decision-support platform for modelling and analysing biosecurity risk and response.
Why Biosecurity Commons?
Biosecurity Commons will empower researchers and decision-makers to produce consistent and transparent models and analytics without coding experience or high-end IT equipment. The platform will offer users everything they need to collaboratively solve common biosecurity problems like an intuitive point-and-click web interface, high-performance computing, trusted datasets, repeatable scientific workflows, a secure workspace and cloud storage.
Five peer-reviewed workflows will be available to address specific biosecurity questions:
Where should we look for a pest or disease?
Where might a pest or disease spread to?
What impacts might it cause?
Resource Allocation / Time to Eradication
How long will it take to eradicate?
Proof of Freedom
When is a region free of a pest or disease?
What will Biosecurity Commons offer?
- An intuitive web interfaceWhere you can run workflows without coding experience
- High-performance computingTo perform complex analyses faster without burdening your personal computer
- Repeatable scientific workflows That have been peer-reviewed by expert biosecurity scientists to drive best practice
- Trusted datasetsWhere you can access species occurrence records, species traits records, environmental and climate projection layers
- A secure online workspaceWhere you can share and collaborate on biosecurity projects with others
- Cloud storageFor uploading datasets and conveniently sharing results
Launching April 2023
Who is Biosecurity Commons for?
What are our partners saying…
“The Commonwealth government is committed to funding projects that will efficiently, effectively and sustainably support Australia’s biosecurity system to 2030 and beyond. The way forward for building biosecurity capability is the generation and analysis of data that can be used to understand our current and future needs. Biosecurity Commons will deliver integrated, secure, data-driven tools to equip our workforce to more efficiently and effectively prepare and respond to emerging biosecurity risks, challenges and opportunities.”
Andrew Pearce – Director of Support & Strategy, Environmental Biosecurity Office at DAWE
“In a complex and rapidly changing environment, emerging technologies will play a critical role in protecting Australia’s treasured assets. Innovative platforms like Biosecurity Commons will revolutionise how the biosecurity sector prepares and responds to biosecurity risks in the future. Biosecurity Commons will enable faster decisions and sharing of resources by connecting researchers and decision-makers to the best available data, peer-reviewed scientific methods, and technology for modelling biosecurity threats.”
Patrick Bell – General Manager Strategy & Legislation, Department of Agriculture & Fisheries
Biosecurity Commons is a joint initiative of the Australian and Queensland Government, the NCRIS-funded Australian Research Data Commons (ARDC) and four other organisations.
- Biosecurity Commons received investment (https://doi.org/10.47486/PL021) from the Australian Research Data Commons (ARDC). The ARDC is funded by the National Collaborative Research Infrastructure Strategy (NCRIS).